[Buddha-l] Ts'ao-ch'i or Caoxi?

Weng-Fai Wong wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Thu Feb 25 17:19:01 MST 2010

I am not sure if there is any conspiracy theory behind this but even between
communist and nationalist China, there are differences in the way they
pronounced Chinese words in Mandarin. A case in point are the words À¬»ø
(rubbish ¨C both the stuff you throw away and how you describe Japanese cars
these days). In mainland China¡¯s Mandarin, it is read as ¡°la1 ji1¡±. In
Taiwanese Mandarin, it is read as ¡°le4 se4¡±. The latter is probably the
older form because it is read in a similar way in Cantonese (a dialect
spoken by Hong Kongers whom many linguists think is older than modern
Mandarin) where it is read as ¡°laap6 saap3¡±. (I speak both so I can verify
that this is the equivalent of ¡°le4 se1¡± and not ¡°la1 ji1¡±). When and
how did it go from le4 se4 to la1 ji1 I don¡¯t know. May be some wise person
can help here.

Weng-Fai