[Buddha-l] Non-Arising

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 27 07:16:02 MST 2010

Op 26-2-2010 13:17, Dee schreef:

> On the other hand, Indians have had a complex and subtle knowledge of the mind for thousands of years while western psychology is only one hundred years old.
>
> You assume, perhaps, because I threw a few hard questions at Bernhard about "experiences" that something cynical or dismissive is at
> play. The questions I asked come directly from Nagarjuna -- no questions are more Buddhistic  than those. And they are intended to be provocative and force one to question assumptions. Also nothing can be more Buddhistic

Sorry Dee,
but this is not right. It may be that the term 'psychology' is not very
old, but also in the West there has been a lot of investigation into the
nature of the mind. Aristotle for one wrote an interesting book about
the psyche. Indian science on the other hand is often hidden in long
lists and dead traditions. Ayurveda institutes for instance have large
libraries full of theory, but very few professors there have any
experience in practice, while lots of ayurvedic practicioners in the
field apply their remedies without any clue why they work.
Some think that the Abhidharma is the result of generations of
experimental research, while in reality it comes from theoritical
discussions. There is undoubtedly much knowledge in Indian tradition as
well is in most other traditions, but there's also a lot of stupidity.

erik