[Buddha-l] Enlightenment for Sale! (was: Review of a review)

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 02:10:44 MDT 2010

Hi Frantz,

I recently had a discussion with a European ajahn from the Forest tradition
who was in Europe for a short visit after having lived for years in solitary
retreat. He had some very interesting things to say. He started about the
importance of dana, generosity and I was preparing myself for an inspiring
sermon on the duties of lay Buddhists, but he said how much he thought
Europe had changed and talked about the way society functioned now and how
he thought generosity was needed very badly. When he talked about generosity
he meant it in the largest sense of the word. Being available for
others. When he had left Europe to become a monk, Dharma was still free or
very affordable in most places. Now many meditation seminars are expensive
and given by mainly lay teachers (yes, he is a pretty traditional monk),
sometimes star teachers, often defrocked (is that proper English?) monks...
He pointed out that meditation is only one part of the Buddhist path and not
even the most important one. Without generosity and morality, the Buddhist
path is simply incomplete. And I agree with that. I did point out to him
that I was hopeful about the future development of "generosity" with the
concept of Free, private solidarity and exchange initiatives etc. (I could
only give you name of French initiatives...). For me this shows there is a
need for generosity and expressing it.

So yes a true dharma teacher (funny combination of words) should embody the
dharma and actualize it in their teaching and lifestyle. "Teaching dharma"
is being an inspiring exemple of generosity, morality and eventually self
transformation, nothing else. Can one "learn dharma" at seminars where
dharma is sold as a Wellness product ?

Some of my hidden agendas: I am allergic to anything big scale or done on a
big scale. And seminars speminars.

Joy