[Buddha-l] Big is beautiful (was: Review of a review)

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 02:59:10 MDT 2010

Hi Dan,

> I believe the French word grand(e) plays a similar game.

Not really. Grand is more vertical (lofty) whereas I see big mostly as
horizontal (expansive). Un grand homme, un grand monsieur, un grand geste,
un grand pays (generous and with lofty ideals)... Although a big spender
(like our current president) would indeed be translated as a grand dépenseur
(or dépensier). And Grand pays doesn't have the same ring as grand empire,
but I guess that is due to empire.

Joy