[Buddha-l] Enlightenment for Sale! (was: Review of a review)

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 2 06:48:11 MDT 2010

Erik:

Indian business practices -- the corruption, extortion, etc. -- are
legendary, so I didn't think further explanation was necessary.

To get a landline phone in India one requests one from the phone company.
One waits. And waits. If one's address suggests one has money, after
numerous inquiries and complaints to the phone company that one still
doesn't have a phone after many months, one will be visited at home by one
of the higher officers of the phone company, who will let it be known that
as long as he is paid a certain monthly stipend, you will have phone
service. Should you ever forget him...

List members with experience in India can provide many more such accounts.
The corruption is thoroughly integrated into the system (academics have
their own versions of these sorts of stories concerning acquiring resources,
grants, salaries, positions, etc.). Foreign companies seeking to do business
in India have had to learn how to navigate the system (i.e., pay the
extortion).

The Chinese political model? Do I have to explain?

For starters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/world/asia/24tibet.html?pagewanted=2&hpw
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/business/global/14organic.html?pagewanted=all
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/world/asia/02dalai.html?scp=1&sq=china%20control&st=Search