[Buddha-l] The Proper Scope of Buddhology

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Fri Jul 2 12:04:28 MDT 2010

Gang,

Richard rather categorically asserted

> There is exactly one legitimate thing for scholars of Buddhism
> to study: texts. We can only go where our texts go. We can
> report what our texts say, no more. Buddhist texts are silent
> on near-death experiences, so as scholars of Buddhism we
> would be irresponsible to speculate on what Buddhists might
> have to say about such things.

I am impressed with the audacity of this claim, but I have to say I
think it's nonsense.

What is legitimate for "scholars of Buddhism" to study is Buddhism.
This by definition. Richard, if we agree on that, you must be
asserting that Buddhism is isomorphic with its texts. I deny that.
Buddhism, as all other religions, includes its texts but is not
exhausted by them. As an example (the first one to come into my head),
we cannot reduce meditation on the breath to the Maha-satipatthana
Sutta. The sutta is foundational to the current practice, but the
practice does exist apart from it. Indeed, the practice existed
*before* the text. Can you give an argument why the study of breath
meditation practice would be illegitimate? Are you saying it is not
"Buddhism?" Are we not allowed to, say, investigate early Buddhist
meditative practice, relating it to other Indic religious practices?
Can we not attempt to illuminate the life of the Buddha, the origins
of the sangha, the First Council? All these thing are avant la lettre
and yet are part of Buddhism, no?

Perhaps you are using "study" in some restricted sense that
philosophers know and I don't. Or perhaps you share the opinion that
those studying anything other than texts are not really "scholars."
You certainly would not be alone in that view.

Franz
(who is clearly not a scholar of distinction)