[Buddha-l] Political (Ego-centric?) Actions

R B Basham bshmr at aol.com
Fri Jul 9 16:36:16 MDT 2010

Associates ('my fellow members' seemed sexist at the moment),

We may have noted this (see appended) at the time yet a review seems
appropriate. In addition to comments on the monk or his/her actions, the
deceitful titling of the 'Four Rivers Restoration Project' might be
relevant to some here. For me personally, this is more than a full meal
of emotion and thought.

Richard Basham

**

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=45,9331,0,0,1,0

Self-Immolation of Korean monk, Moonsu Sunim
by Donggeon Kim, Buddhist Solidarity for the Preservation of Life at the
Four Rivers, Republic of Korea, July 7, 2010

Monk's act of self immolation was done in protest of the South Korean
government's in pushing ahead with the Four Rivers Restoration Project
despite the criticism by the absolute majority of the Korean people

Seoul, South Korea -- A Buddhist monk, Ven. Moonsu carried out the
offering of himself to the Buddha by burning himself near the bank of
the Wicheon stream in Kunwi county, North Kyungsang province, at around
2 pm May 31, 2010.

When first found, he maintained his posture with his hands clasped
together on his chest. He left his Buddhist monk's robes, a pair of
rubber shoes, and a note giving three requests next to his body. His
body was so completely destroyed by fire that nobody could recognize
him, but he was identified by the note he left.

The Last Will and Testament

    * The Lee Myung-bak administration must stop and abrogate its
    * Four Rivers Restoration Project immediately.
    * The Lee Myung-bak administration must eradicate corruption.

*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Major_Rivers_Restoration_Project