[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jul 13 19:17:43 MDT 2010

I believe the two key passages in Faure's "Afterthoughts" are:

1. "The claim that Buddhism is a tolerant religion is based on the fact
that Buddhist history does not show the kind of fanatic excesses
familiar in the histories of Christianity and Islam. Opponents of the
Buddha may have been labeled as 'heretical masters,' but (in part for
lack of an ultimate authority) the accusations of heresy rarely led to
physical purges."

&

2. "But these cases are the exception that proves the Budhist rule, and
they underscore the contrast with the practices of Inquisition in
Christianity."

The second statement occurs after Faure has listed a variety of cases of
intolerance and even violent persecution that have occurred in the
course of Buddhist history.

To be blunt, Faure is directly contradicting Jerryson and Jurgensmeyer's
claim that the distinction between Buddhism and Christianity (and Islam)
is a "social imaginary".

As far as the specific issue of "defending the faith" goes, ultimately
the Dharma itself requires no defense -- by arms or by any other means.
Then again, the Dharma does not require Buddhas or teachers or students
or practice or Sutras etc etc etc.

In purely pragmatic terms, however, whatever there is of worth in
Buddhism would have vanished as soon as it appeared if the Buddha had
been a pacifist, because any community that does not defend itself
quickly vanishes from the face of the earth -- unless someone else
defends them. The Buddha appears to have accepted not only the economic
largesse of powerful allies, but also their physical/armed protection.
If the Buddha himself did not do this, then it happened very soon
afterwards because the theme of political allies militarily protecting
Buddhism is in the Pali Canon as far back as one can go.

In all of "Buddhism and Warfare" there is no mention, not even in a
footnote, of Matthew Kosuta's excellent study "The Military in the Pali
Canon", in which Kosuta concluded that "in a mundane perspective, the
military is ever present, of high prestige, and even necessary in some
circumstances for the protection of Buddhism."

Here is a link to Kosuta's paper:
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma6/militarycanon.html

Curt Steinmetz