[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 14 17:26:32 MDT 2010

Lance

> But the very limited canonical materials on the cakkavattin king are
> precisely non-violent and emphasize that fact.

I am not an expert on Cakravartin / cakkavattin literature. The material I
have seen, and the aspects discussed in a number of essays in the book would
suggest that numerous texts speak out of both sides of their mouth, or one
can find opposing positions taken in different texts, i.e., that one can
indeed find strongly pacifistic material, but one can also find various
degrees of acceptance and even encouragement for violent activity, going
from condoning to recommending a variety of nasty and even lethal practices.
That non-pacifistic literature is available, in other words, to those who
wish to employ it, and apparently rulers, etc. availed themselves of this
sanction frequently, with the blessing of the sangha.

> It is very important that this story is legendary and almost certainly
> has no historical basis at all.

In some sense -- though we do NOT know for sure that this is all made up. It
MAY have some truth. In some sense it does make a difference whether these
events took place, but only in a very trivial way. (Thanks, Franz, for
mediating.) Why I say it makes no difference whether the events transpired
exactly this way or not in terms of the issue of attitude of certain
monastic Buddhists toward violence is that the story has been embraced by
the Chan community, meaning they found it fully plausible and in concert
with their self-understanding of what the Chan community attitudes are. It
is plausible because such lethal rivalries were not unknown in the monastic
communities. We have other cases, including in India, of such things
(starting with Devadatta, but it didn't end with him). Since the potential
target of the violence would be the hero of the piece, the Platform Sutra
would not be condoning the violence, but it is placing the option of violent
activity within the monastic community.

Do we need to mention well known actual cases, such as the Dalai Lamas who
never reach maturity, dying mysteriously, giving their regents and cohorts a
couple additional decades of rule?

Something that DID occur historically speaking is that not that long after
the Huineng died, his mummy, sitting in an upright position, was put on
display and used in various rituals (condensation, i.e., mummy sweat, was
gathered during certain festivals, bottled, and sold for its "healing" and
miraculous properties). His mummy is still there (though "patched up"
post-Cultural Revolution -- I've visited it at Nanhuasi, his temple, which
also houses the mummy of Hanshan Deqing, the great Ming monk):

http://tinyurl.com/2bx5oz6

scroll down and click on the brown-faced image.

There are various versions of a story that his relics, usually his head,
were stolen, and, according to most, recovered. One prominent account holds
that nine years after his death, some Korean Buddhists (or, according to
another account, a Korean monk who contracted someone else to do the deed)
cut off the mummy's head, wishing to bring it and its glorious
miraculousness back to Korea. When their theft was discovered, a posse was
sent after them. They were caught, executed, and the head returned to the
body. (there are alternate versions of this story, eg.
http://tinyurl.com/25felub )

In another account, a swordsman is the thief and he was NOT caught!
http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/theology/2002/c.j.kuiken/pt5.pdf
go to p. 17.

An appended colophon to the popular version of the Platform Sutra (differs
somewhat from the one recovered at Dunhuang which is what most people in the
West read) includes this statement:

"the relics were stolen several times, but on each occasion they were
recovered before the thief could run away far."

So there may some basis to all the different versions, i.e., there were
multiple attempts (one of which may have been successful). This is
posthumous violence, but nonetheless it indicates a wild-west-type of
atmosphere that helps show why the Platform Sutra account had credence for
its contemporaries.

IN any case, this is a minor example, used for illustrative purposes only,
to show what has been under our very noses all along. The essays in the book
deal with more important and fully documented examples.

Dan