[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 23:50:40 MDT 2010

In quick response to Andy:

I wrote:

>> This is the Pali prototype of a guardian of the Dharma (albeit a gnomish
>> sprite) threatening to make good on Buddha's own death threat (heads
>> split
>> into seven parts usually result in more permanent injuries than
>> headaches).
>> He is not bluffing -- unless Saccaka speaks up on being asked a third
>> time,
>> he will smite him. The death threat is real. Saccaka realizes that, and
>>  that realization results in Saccaka taking refuge, i.e., converting to
>> Buddhism -- forced conversion of a sort.

To which Andy replied:
> [...] I don't think a charge of inconsistency is an actual death threat,
> although it can be devastating in a debate.

It is pretty clear both in the Digha Nikaya version and the Majjhima Nikaya
smashing someone's head asunder into seven pieces with a flaming iron club
constitutes a mortal challenge to the clubee's noggin.

> And I don't see any sign of a
> "forced conversion."

In both versions it says:

"The Lord saw Vajirapāṇī, and so did Ambaṭṭha (or Saccaka). And at the
sight, Ambaṭṭha was terrified and unnerved, his hairs stood on end, and he
sought protection, shelter and safety from the Lord." [Hare's tr.]

The key formula is rendered thus by Nanamoli and Bodhi in their rendering of
the parallel M passage: "Seeking his shelter, asylum, and refuge in the
Blessed One, ..."

This taking "refuge in the Buddha" is the equivalent of conversion, darn
close to the standard formula (perhaps Lance has a different view of this).

Dan