[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Sat Jul 17 03:52:06 MDT 2010

On Thursday 15 July 2010 07:44:59 pm Bob Zeuschner wrote:
> On 7/15/2010 9:58 PM, andy wrote:
> >>    My interest is philosophical, so I am interested in a
> >> consistent Buddhist ethical position on violence.
> >>
> >> James Andy Stroble, PhD
>
> I would have thought that since achieving the cessation of _duhkha_ is
> the goal of Nirvana, and that the Four Noble Truths center on the
> lessening or elimination of _duhkha_, that a consistent foundation of
> early Buddhist ethics would be:
> do not act in ways that increase _duhkha_.
>
> How does that sound?

Right on the spot. Bob!  I tend to take the Dhammapada as definitive on this.
The question, however, is exactly what increases duhkha, and whether the
infliction of duhkha might lead to less duhkha (be means of upaya), or if the
infliction of duhkha may be out weighed by the merit of preserving the Sangha.

As I said before, there are several aspects to the case for a Buddhist
sanction for violence, and I personally think none of them hold.  The
historical facts, however, and attempted justifications are indisputable, as
historical facts, not as ethical positions.

To all who are participating, great discussion so far.

--
James Andy Stroble, PhD