[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 18 13:25:57 MDT 2010

Artur Karp wrote:

> Yes, it's obvious that the author of the Mhv has scanty material at
>
> his disposal. He, however, manages very well to convey the idea that
> royal violence, even of most extreme form, can be atoned for by
> donating to the Sangha. Which, in its turn, is an important factor
> legitimizing royal power.

I am not sure that you can introduce the Christian concept of atonement
here. If the author has an idea of this kind, it will be that the kings
must eventually suffer the unpleasant consequences of their bad deeds.
And of course the pleasant consequences of their good deeds.

The juxtaposition of the two in the Mhv is just an artefact of the
available sources for constructing the work.

Duṭṭhagāmaṇi is perhaps a special case, but then he has to be in an epic
poem constructed around him as a hero.

> What's especially interesting (at least to me) is the culture-specific
> inventory of excuses used to belittle/relativize royal transgressions
> against ideal morals. I find such excuses in Indian epic tradition,
> and it's not difficult to find them in the Buddhist tradition, too.
>
> That much.

All political leaders and political cultures seem to be very good at
justifying their actions. On the whole monarchy probably has a
marginally better record than other forms of government. It certainly
does in the world today.

Lance Cousins