[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

Bob Woolery drbob at comcast.net
Mon Jul 19 12:29:55 MDT 2010

Dan wrote:
When Buddhism becomes identified with the State, it sanctions violence in
one way or another. As you say, its survival has depended on that. These are
exactly the sort of issues that await our studious attention.

I'm not sure how well the Vietnamese state is identified with Buddhism, but
observe that common people took up arms, while the monks were often violent
to themselves, in an effort to make a (political? moral? ) point through
publicity.

   This seems in accord with the monk - commoner distinction in rules of
behavior.

Bob Woolery, DC
326 deAnza dr
Vallejo, CA  94589