[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Jul 20 19:17:24 MDT 2010

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 12:06:40 am Artur Karp wrote:
> In all seriousness, a question: can one be a Buddhist and a Communist?

Xue Yu's chapter in _Buddhist Warfare_ ("Buddhists in China during the Korean
War")  was eye-opening to me, probably because of my ignorance of the period.
Seems that Chinese Buddhists were very eager to be patriotic and even
established a "Committee of Buddhist Circles in Beijing for Safeguarding the
World Peace and Resisting American Invasion".  They raised money for a
Buddhist warplane, and encouraged enlistment in the military.

Not sure how much of this was Communist, how much nationalism, or how much it
was the attempt to suck up to the government so that Buddhism might survive.
If it was the last, it did not work out to well.  Nobody expects the Cultural
Revolution.

A common theme in the Buddhist violence topic seems to be nationalism rather
than any other ideology. I was not surprised to see it in Japan, Sri Lanka, or
Thailand, but this example did surprise me.

--
James Andy Stroble, PhD
Lecturer in Philosophy

Adjunct Faculty