[Buddha-l] Temporary Monk

R B Basham bshmr at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 17:15:37 MDT 2010

Lots to speculate from this one (appended inline). For example, what
would some of the members of buddha-l write of a similar experiment?
Various 'heads-of-state'? Who would, who wouldn't?

Only as an after-thought, did I notice the author.

Richard Basham

**

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=6,9356,0,0,1,0

Home > Dharma Dew
Eight lessons from a monastery
By Deepak Chopra, The Washington Post, July 20, 2010

This lifetime of ours is transient as autumn clouds.
To watch the birth and death of beings
Is like look at the movements of a dance.
A lifetime is like a flash of lightning in the sky.
Rushing by, like a torrent down a steep mountain.
-- Buddha

New York, USA -- Over the last two decades I have occasionally taken a
week of silence to renew my spirit. A few years ago, I found out that
there was a tradition in Thailand where some CEOs of major businesses
and politicians would take a week or two of silent retreat as ordained
Buddhist monks. This was to remind them to be humble in spirit and
anchor themselves in sobriety.