[Buddha-l] Was the Buddha mentally ill?

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 01:32:12 MDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> I don't make him sound any way at all. I simply report what he wrote. (It
> used to give you pleasure when I quoted Buddhaghosa.)
>
> It always gives me pleasure when I read you, whether you quote Buddhaghosa
or not. I have the same experience as you with irony, especially when trying
to return irony for irony in order to give a compliment. It's like knitting,
one little loose crotchet and the thread of irony is lost. It's an art that
I admire but that I don't master unlike you. I assure you that most of the
time I write with a smile on my face.

> It used to give me pleasure to write ironically. Now that I find fewer and
> fewer people knowing how to distinguish between irony ore and fool's gold, I
> get less pleasure from being satirical. Perhaps I'm growing anhedonic in my
> anecdotage.
>
> Please keep up the anecdotage, shaggy dog stories make me laugh almost
> always.

Joy