[Buddha-l] Maybe I was wrong

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 27 13:14:17 MDT 2010

Richard Nance writes, in response to posts by Richard Hayes and myself:

> Not so now. At least not in my experience. Perhaps my experience is
> atypical; I don't know.

Yes, Richard N., your experience IS atypical. You've been very fortunate.
You will notice that the exception Richard H. mentioned was Dan Arnold's
forthcoming book (although the Analytic philosophical discussion of
neuroscience is not what I had in mind -- there is a reason the
psychologists and scientists consider that literature irrelevant). Chicago
is the only grad program offering the possibility of Buddhist Studies with a
heavily philosophical leaning at the moment. That is not to say that some of
the scholars currently teaching -- young and not so young -- are devoid of
sympathy for or training in philosophy. But in terms of programs promoting
Buddhist Studies as a philosophical discipline, that's another matter.
Philosophy has been under siege and shunted for a couple of decades, but is
starting, slowly to re-earn respectability within Buddhist studies. Not a
moment too soon. I still remember how Roger Jackson introduced himself to me
the year I finished my dissertation: "Hi. My name is Roger Jackson. I used
to do Buddhist Philosophy too." Those days, if you wanted a career and a job
and to get published, the sooner you distanced yourself from philosophy the
more successful you'd be.

Let's hope you and your cohorts will make all these complaints obsolete, and
the sooner the better.

Dan