[Buddha-l] Maybe I was wrong

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jul 27 16:25:22 MDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Franz Metcalf wrote:

> Am I so out of touch that I missed it when my side won this war?

I have good news for you, Franz. Given that anthropology, like physics and all the other natural sciences, is a branch of philosophy, whenever philosophy wins, you're automatically on the winning side. That said, I quite agree with you that there is every reason to believe that philosophy is alive and well in Buddhist studies. Indeed, I can honestly say that close to 100% of the work I am aware of in Buddhist studies is about philosophy, and I really struggle to keep up with it all. But then I don't get around much any more. Is Schopen still out there somewhere saying nasty things about philosophy?

Richard