[Buddha-l] mindful/mindfulnes

donna Bair-Mundy donnab at hawaii.edu
Thu Jul 29 13:47:33 MDT 2010

Aloha,
   When I was growing up (in the United States) we were told to mind our
manners, meaning to behave properly.  I suppose you could describe "mind"
in that case to mean that we must observe our own behavior and make sure
that it conforms to the rules our parents tried to drill into us.
   As to "minding the gap" between a subway car and platform, this is
actually something that women wearing spiky-heeled shoes need to do in
order to prevent the situation of having a shoe heel slip into
the gap and get stuck, then having to struggle to free themselves
before the train takes off.  Avoiding having their heels sink into a gap
and get stuck is also why you'll see women in high heels walking around
grates in a sidewalk.
   So can we say that high-heeled shoes promote mindfulness?  (There must
be some compensation for the pain.)

                    	Have a safe and joyful day,

 			donna Bair-Mundy, Ph.D.
 			Instructor, LIS Program