[Buddha-l] Scarcity of resources and Us v Them

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jul 29 22:48:50 MDT 2010

Hello again,
Surprisingly, you both continue to miss my point. Perhaps I
should have noted that "scarcity" is not only a literal
condition, but it's an economic term related to supply and, not
demand, but control. My point is that controlling power elites
are able to create scarcity, which they inectiably do in order to
maintain their power, supremacy, advantgaes, etc.-- as is
well-known in political-economy.  Ever hear of the Monsanto
corporation (to offer just one among hundreds of examples)?
This situation is not well-perceived or understood at large. Mass
media (and school textbooks) don't make a point of it. In fact
they tend to conceal it because they are controlled by the same
forces that control the political-economy. However, the point is
well-understood by alternative media.

As a Buddhist connection to all this: creating a system of
merit-making allowed the monastics to be fed (merit in exchange
for food), and protected by the political elites (merit in
exchange for protecting the Buddha), even though from the
viewpoint of a food supply, that of the monks was originally
based on daily begging rounds. Thus, there was a condition of
potential if not actual scarcity, depending on the success of
farm crops and urban commercial activities, and on the favor, or
not, of the ruler. Rulers and rich people held feasts for monks,
built buildings for them and donated parks for them to stay in,
so plenty was assured as long as the sangha was in favor. One can
see the sense in the original plan of moving around and not
staying too long in one place (except during vassa), so as not to
strain the alms-food supply. In addition, the idea developed that
the good king (or ruler), by faithfully observing dharma and
supporting the sangha, would ensure divine favor of the gods for
his kingdom's prosperity (including the food supply). This idea
can easily be found in the vadaana stories (as in the
Divyavadaana), where the good kings prosper & the bad ones don't
amount to a hill of beans.

Joanna K.
________

Donna, Joanna, et al,

> If the post had said that resources are finite that would, of
course,
> be true.  But I cannot agree that they are scarce.

Adding a nuance, concentrated resources are perceived as scarce.
That may bridge both POVs.

Richard Basham