[Buddha-l] Was the Buddha mentally ill?

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at smith.edu
Fri Jul 30 04:16:46 MDT 2010

On 7/30/2010 1:00 AM, Richard Hayes wrote:
>> I also rarely have to put up with people trying to convince me I really do believe that things have inherent natures, and that's why I'm deeply unhappy without knowing it.
>>
> I have long argued that Buddhism will not have found a place in American culture until there are Buddhist country and western songs. It's antureal. after all, since so many country ditties are of the genre called hurtin' songs. I think I may have identified a candidate for the country and western Buddhist anthem. It's a song called "Kust call me Cleopatra, 'cause I'm the queen of denial." I'm assuming it will at least get Jamie's vote.

Can't vote for this one, Richard-- you'll have to do better. First of
all (and I hope everybody sees the deep Buddhist content in all of
this), I have met you in the . . . ah, flesh, and a Queen you ain't, of
any sort. As they say, some of my best friends are queens so I know.
Secondly, you can't sing about being in Da Nile, since you ain't-- you
are in happiness-affirmation. And even a good card-carrying "You just
*think* you are happy" sort of Buddhist couldn't sing about your denial,
if she was philosophically astute, since we know (and you reminded us
recently) that in regards to claims about happiness (and pain) your
claims, like everybody's, are incorrigible. Of course, you are
incorrigible in other senses as well, but we'll stick to the
happiness-denial sort here.

Finally, and most importantly, no American country western song can be
about Egypt and queens. I don't know much about country western (blues
and rock are more my thing), still, you need to lose your job, wife,
pickup, and dog all on the same day. . . then comes the whiskey. . . and
there is usually no redemption, but we all relate to the story line
because we see ourselves.

In other words, the American Buddhist country western song is Pure
Land-- all about inevitable suffering and for the masses. . .now maybe
if you wanted to sing about being Dolly Parton. . .

Nice try, though.

Obviously too much time on my hands,

Jamie