[Buddha-l] mindful/mindfulness

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 31 02:59:18 MDT 2010

  Artur Karp wrote:
> Isn't appamāda to be understood rather as "zeal, ardour"? As antonym
> to "idleness, indolence"? Interesting: when Buddha says appamādena
> sampādetha, does he admonish the monks to "strive with
> alertness/vigilance"?

Appamāda is the opposite of pamāda — to be avoided in the fifth precept.
Drunkenness is not a lack of ardour. It is a state in which the mind
loses clarity and alertness. So I understand appamādena sampādetha to
mean 'progress with vigilance' i.e. move from stage to stage with
clarity of mind. It's not a Victorian exhortation to diligence.

Lance