[Buddha-l] Bot being able to imagine annihilation [confused]

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Tue Jun 1 12:06:16 MDT 2010

Thank you for these considered replies Richard Hayes!

>>I have no idea at all what phenomenological mortality means. I am guessing it may have something to do with whether anyone can imagine oneself to be non-existent. This is a version of Freud's observation that it is impossible to imagine oneself as having died and entered into oblivion, because it is logically impossible to imagine oneself as a being that has no capacity to imagine or think.
Yes I do mean exactly this, I think; though am not sure because the end of the last sentence above seems weaker than it should be, seeing as one can just say that one doesn't imagine oneself as a "being" if one has been annihilated.
>>you are in the company of Descartes and Freud. Whether you regard that as good company or bad is a matter of taste.
I suppose so; anyway their opinion does sound important enough not to be cursorily dismissed.
>>explain what on earth that has to do with Buddhism in any of its forms.
The fact that it's not obvious is somewhat worrying... As I said before the idea does seem slightly religious and I would pick Buddhism to be the religion that is most concerned with annihilation, as you seem to say yourself.
Thanks again so much for the reply, I will spend some time digesting them and maybe then I can check with the list about some of the most important points you have made!!