[Buddha-l] Abhidharma for undergrads

Alberto Todeschini alberto.tod at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 07:58:30 MDT 2010

> Would anyone recommend a text for undergraduate and graduate courses on
> Abhidharma, in addition to the Abhidharmakosha, Abhidharmasamuccaya,
> and Pancaskandha?

If you are planning to use Walpola Rahula's translation of the
Abhidharmasamuccaya, you should note that there are parts that are
translated completely wrongly. I'm familiar in particular with the
Vādaviniścaya section, which I assigned to my students. We gave up and
read the Tibetan instead.

And if you are using the English version of Rahula's work, think that
for the portions of the Samuccaya that don't survive in Sanskrit you'll
be reading an English translation of a French translation of a Sanskrit
translation of a Chinese translation of a Sanskrit text.

Lastly, I've found a number of problems created by the English
translator. Clearly, she was proficient in French but didn't always
understand the import of what she was translating, hence the result is
at times unreliable.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini