[Buddha-l] Koheleth

Bob Woolery drbob at comcast.net
Sun Jun 13 23:16:44 MDT 2010

Found it online: from p. 11

If we can imagine Homer
or Virgil published with the scholia of later com-
mentators put into the body of the text, or the
Quatrains of Omar Khayyam with the comments
and pious reflections of orthodox Mohamme-
dans added, as though forming part of the
original, in order to counteract unorthodox senti-
ments about "wine, woman and song," one will be
able to form an impression of the text as finally
fixed and as it now stands in our Bible. At the
same time, while recognizing what commentators
in the interests of orthodoxy have made of Kohe-
leth, we must not fall into the error of charging
such commentators with any intention to practice
a wilful deceit. We must always bear in mind that
every production in an age which had not as yet
developed the sense of individual authorship was
subject to constant modification. Such modifica-
tion was in part an index of the interest that a
new production had aroused. An ancient book
never received a final form, so long as its message
retained its vitality. The modifications which a
piece of writing underwent might be made by
those who agreed with it, or by those who were
not in sympathy with it. The manipulators of
Koheleth were opposed to its tone and thought,
but they were not conscious of any wrong in
furnishing through additions their answers to
Koheleth's arguments and conclusions.

Bob Woolery, DC
326 deAnza dr
Vallejo, CA  94589