[Buddha-l] the 4 ages: age of alone

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sun Jun 20 17:24:25 MDT 2010

One of the un-rewards of old age is the slow die-off of old
friends and family, distant or close. Sort of prepares one for
the final aloneness.  I just saw an article about how Pakistan's
PM--Asif Ali Zardari-- has to figure out some kind of an energy
plan, at this late date, of course. He is not known for looking
far ahead. It prompted thoughts of an old pleasure--discussing S
Asia politics with my first and late husband--who was an Indian
but a Muslim too, and so had interesting analyses of doings in
Pakistan. I live in a desert--no really: literally, in Idaho, and
figuratively in a very provincial ultra Republican place. They
don't even have S. Asia on the curriculum at the state U nearby.
Nobody here for such chins chins, except our son. I can't of
course go after him every time I want to talk about India or
Pakistan. Or even about Buddhism. One mindful thing he and his
wife did was to dump TV when it went digital.
Meanwhile, I'm back on TV watching the Pebble Beach golf
tournament. I'm a native of California and the vistas around this
golf club are pristine California as I remember it back in the
40's. Some things resist impermanence, but nostalgia probably is
not a mood that's all that beneficial?

Joanna