[Buddha-l] Review of a review

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Tue Jun 29 17:54:53 MDT 2010

Barnaby et al.,

The standard Big Mind retreats are, as you say, $1500. (Of course
that's already significantly higher than any other Zen retreat I've
heard of.) It's only the special retreats that are so expensive. They
used to be called the "5-5-50" retreats because they were five days
with a maximum of five other retreatants, for $50K. Last I looked they
had come down to $25K, no doubt due to the global recession.

I should add that I do not mean to disparage Genpo Roshi or his
teaching. I *do* mean to disparage the way he's marketing it. To
commodify the dharma in this way is, in my view, to lose critical
distance from a globalized consumer culture that is, again in my view,
profoundly un-Buddhist.

Cheers,

Franz