[Buddha-l] Aura and after-image

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu May 6 14:02:48 MDT 2010

In a message dated 5/6/2010 2:49:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jkirk at spro.net writes:

Hi Weng Fai,
Please inform me about use of nimitta in  meditation--what exactly
is one doing if using  it?
Thanks
Joanna
============
I'm not Weng Fai but in deep concentration the object of meditation  might
drop away and a sign might replace it. For instance,the Visud.says a  small
light might appear. Then one can learn to manipulate this light. Make it
smaller or larger, for example.

My  understanding is that nimitta means "the sign of".

Jack

Question:

In the Vannupatha-jataka ("The sandy road  jataka" translation by
Caroline A.F. Rhys Davids), the second para has this  statement:

"But he was unable to bring forth either aura or  after-image."

What are the original Pali words for "aura" and  "after-image"? Is
this connected to the current buzzword "nimitta" in  meditation.

And on the subject of nimitta, some says "the Buddha never  talked
about nimitta as it is used today in the context of  meditation,
it was solely invented by Buddhaghosa in the Visuddhimagga".  True
or false?

W.F.  Wong