[Buddha-l] 9. Attadiipaa Sutta (Joy Vriens)

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Sun May 9 00:08:37 MDT 2010

Richard wrote:

> My Pali teacher, A.K. Warder, used to point out that in Pali, 'dīpa' is rarely used in the sense of 'light' but that for 'light' one usually finds 'padīpa' (Skt pradīpa). He also observed that references to the desirability of isolation and self-reliance are plentiful in the canonical literature. He therefore felt the evidence was strongly in support of taking 'dīpa' in the sense of 'island' rather than 'light'. The further evidence you put forth convinces me he was probably right.

One of the possible reasons for 'dīpa' being rarely used for light may
be due to the fact that on most occurrences it is translated as
island. By consensus. As Lance wrote the explanation in terms of
'lamp' has been rejected for a long while. "Has been rejected", but
merely based on reasons of common practice and choice as far as I can
see.
There is the case of a "Dipa Sutta: The Lamp" (SN 54.8), though not as
a metaphor for light but for the fuel in the lamp. Still dipa is used
for lamp.

I have been looking for other occurrences but seem to stumble
invariably on the same problem of a crooked metaphor that doesn't work
with the rest of the image if island is chosen as a translation
(leaving the commentary out of consideration). E.g. Dhammapada 236.
"Make an island for yourself. Hasten and strive. Be wise. With the
dust of impurities blown off, and free from sinful passions, you will
come unto the glorious land of the great." (Juan Mascaro).

Does one make oneself into an island or does one make an island?
Regarding the Dhp quotation, does this island then perhaps float or
swim towards the glorious land of the great? This is against all rules
of poetry or simply the use of images in writing. It goes against the
sense of aesthetics. Why introduce the strong image of an island if it
isn't further exploited in the rest of the sentence? An island is a
strong complex image with many different connotations compared to a
lamp or light for judgement or pañña etc.

Genjun Sasaki offers some arguments in favour of island, but none of
them convinces me. http://tinyurl.com/2b75rxs I found the "shipwreck"
in combination with the "island" convincing, but it appears to be from
a commentary by Buddhagosa. And even then: shipwreck, island, this can
only be a temporary emergency solution. Even in the Dhammapada
quotation, the island is not the ultimate refuge, because that seems
to be the glorious land of the great. Then how can the island be
recommended as the only refuge or resting place? Why not a solid ship
to sail towards that glorious land of the great?

Madeleine Biardeau (who recently lefts us) wrote how she thinks the
Mahabharata was written in reaction to the upcoming Buddhism.
Dominique Trottignon, in France, will be publishing a book shortly
with a theory on how Theravada was constituted in reaction to the
upcoming Mahayana Buddhism. Propaganda words are as old as the world.
We can't stop at the simple argument of common usage, without looking
into (or at least trying to look into it) why it was commonly used,
when another usage seems to exist simultaneously. To simply state that
the "other translators", as Genjun Sasaki writes about the Chinese
translations, haven't properly understood doesn't convince me. All
translators, Chines, Tibetan etc. worked in teams with often native
speakers and acaryas.

As for more modern translations, I am aware of a possible strong
defensiveness against any essentialist interpretation. Don't give to
much leeway to Theosophical interpretations. E.g. there has been
another battle about the "atta" in "atta dipa". So give me a good
reason with positive arguments to accept the island translation.

How to explain dhamma dipa? "The island of Truth" as some have
translated ? Make Truth into an island? Or make an island for Truth?
Does Truth really needs our help? Remember they are on the same level:
atta dipa, dhamma dipa. What meaning/interpretation of dhamma when
island is picked as the translation? The advantage of the translation
of lamp, that it already has the idea of guidance built in it. A lamp
guides us in the dark. It can guide us towards the glorious land of
the great. What does an island do?

Please save me from heresy.

Joy