[Buddha-l] Jinapanjaram

sjziobro at cs.com sjziobro at cs.com
Sun May 16 09:32:08 MDT 2010

 Joanna,

 Part of my thinking about names and naming, pejoratively termed "labels" and "labeling," is that, as nouns, they are essential for our ability to conceive, reason, and communicate the realities and rationales of things with others in both daily and technical registers of discourse.  The problem does not originate in names and naming so much as in how we choose to interact with others by our use or manipulation of these names.  The question, then, pertains primarily to the ethical or moral sphere, the sphere of right action, with attending questions of responsibility, loving, etc., though it is clearly allied to right thought forming the theoretical basis of action.  It does not, to my mind anyway, concern meditative and contemplative practices per se or how we subsequently articulate whatever experiences arise from these practices.

Stan