[Buddha-l] Batchelor

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Mon May 17 08:10:33 MDT 2010

In a message dated 5/17/2010 2:32:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
joy.vriens at gmail.com writes:

I can't see how SB can get by without mythical,  metaphysical...
teleological notions? What is motivating him, what does he  want to
achieve? What is his perspective?
==
His goal is to teach how to alleviate suffering. He feels this is done
best by going back to the original teachings of the Buddha and cutting out all
the cultural, mythical, metaphysical and teleological notions that have
accrued over the years.

What "mythical, metaphysical...teleological notions" do you think
necessary to the Buddha's teachings?

By the way, _http://www.upaya.org/dharma/page/6/_
(http://www.upaya.org/dharma/page/6/)  has  downloadable talks by Steven and Martine in a 14 part
series called Godless  Religion or Devout Atheism. I think it parallels much of
his new book.

jack