[Buddha-l] Batchelor

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Mon May 17 12:19:35 MDT 2010

Hi Joanna:

"His book title is likely to mislead a lot of folks who would read
it except that he seems to be coming across in that title as the
garden variety atheist, with whom he doesn't identify."

On the other hand, it appears that his book is likely to mislead a lot of garden variety atheists, with whom I do identify, and who might be interested in reading his book.

Most of the so-called "rants" and "dogmatism" by clear-headed thinkers such as Dawkins has to be put in the context of countering the rants, dogmatism and insidious prevalence of the religious views, particularly the more strident components. In the end, I doubt that believers will make such a fine distinction between the "garden variety atheists" or the nuanced Buddhist "non-theists". We will all burn equally crisply and deservedly (from their point of view, of course) in their hell.

Regards,

Pedro