[Buddha-l] Closure of the Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Tue May 18 14:29:15 MDT 2010

X-posted.
This is a disaster to scholarship and research. I wonder what
happens now to their library.
Details to sign a petition, if anyone cares to, below.
Joanna (formerly into medical anthropology)

H-ASIA
May 18, 2010

Closure of the Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine

(x-post IASTAM = International Association for the Study of
Traditional Asian
Medicine)
*******
Ed. note: Thanks to Steven Lindquist for bringing this very
unhappy item to our attention--the post has been edited to remove
a solicitation for a petition but all other information remains.
Any party interested in the
petition should contact the poster Vivienne Lo.
FFC
------
From: Vivienne Lo <v.lo at ucl.ac.uk>

Dear IASTAM members,

Excuse me for double posting. I am writing to you about the
Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine which has been
closed without a review.

The Centre has been a hub of activity for IASTAM for some fifteen
years.
It has also sponsored many conferences and excellent work in the
History of Asian Medicine, including the work of Larry Conrad,
Dominik Wujastyk, Waltraud Ernst, Guy Attewell, Ronit Tlalim, Li
Shang-jen, Theresia Hofer, Michael Stanley Baker, Nancy
Holroyde-Downing, David Dear and many more.
Many of these people have been core to the development of IASTAM.
It has also been the administrative centre for IASTAM for over a
decade, and the birthplace of our journal Asian Medicine. [....]

There is also a blog where you can send comments which have to go
to Carole Reeves c.reeves at ucl.ac.uk

http://friendsofwtchom.blogspot.com/

If you want to read about what the papers are saying follow this
links for the latest of many articles and see attached.

BMJ

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/340/may06_1/c2447

Do send this on to appropriate elists. The petition and blog will
be closed at the end of May.

Thank you!

Vivienne Lo
Convenor of Asian Medicine
Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine Wellcome
Building
183 Euston Road
London NW1 2B?