[Buddha-l] Nietzsche was a bachelor (was: Batchelor)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu May 20 08:25:25 MDT 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 1:36, Joy Vriens <joy.vriens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>
> "The arhant hates life, fears life, seeks to escape life; he cannot
> face the
> prospect of an eternal return. (One finds a similar appraisal of
> Buddhism in
> some of the writings of William James, especially in his last
> lecture on
> Pragmatism.)"
>
> No, no and no. I will have to call good old Louis de la Vallée Pouss
> in back
> into service.

He is by far my favorite Buddhologist. I can't see how citing him is
at all relevant to this discussion, but I'm always glad to see him
cited.

Just in case anyone is unclear about where I stand in all this, I
don't agree with Nietzsche's assessment of Buddhism, or with James's,
but I do think they are completely right in their assessment of it.

richArd