[Buddha-l] Batchelor

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri May 21 01:59:31 MDT 2010

Op 20-05-10 22:32, JKirkpatrick schreef:

> HZ:
> Joanna wrote :
>
>> I ignore anything anyone says about existentialism. period.
>>
> HZ:
> " Martin Buber......and esp. Paul Tillich...thinkers that
> influenced him."
>
> JK:
> Who says these scholars were existentialists?
> Influence is not the same as membership in the cult.
> Also, I don't see Husserl and Levinas as existentialists. They
> were prominent European theologians and or philosophers, not
> members of the cult led by Sartre.

Existentialism is a name for Sartre's philosophy, given by a Parisian
journalist. It is not a cult. If you care to read Sartre, you'll see
that he has a many meaningful things to say to us. As a philosopher he
was an exception in that he wrote exceptionally well, so many of his
readers took on some of his ideas. Often philosophy of existence is
incorrectly called 'existentialism'. Husserl can not be included in this
movement, though he came very close at the end, but Levinas and the
early Heidegger can. Paul Tillich used to be a very devoted Heidegger fan.
Combining existence philosophy and Buddhism is promising because the
Noble Truths are existential (if they are not, they would hardly change
our life). It would however mean a new kind of Buddhism, because the
Asiatic Buddhism is characterized by its own traditional more or less
theological discourse.

erik