[Buddha-l] Batchelor

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Sat May 22 09:15:32 MDT 2010

Hello.
Is there a middle ground between rebirth and thinking that karma is purely psychological? I can't think of one. Sorry if I've misrepresented Batchelor here.
Slight tangent but would you say that Epicurus' advice (that death is not to be feared because we're not there) is according to Buddhism also a source of stress and so even on its own terms is impractical. In what other ways might Epicurus be wrong? E.g., I'd imagine that for him looking forward to death is equally illogical but looking forward to nirvana is not, right? Why and can you help me make sense of that?
I don't want to gloss 'nirvana' and 'death', which brings me back to Batchelor: is karma at best a cure for nihilism?
Thanks for any help.