[Buddha-l] Morals in 6 months old kids

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Mon May 24 10:45:29 MDT 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 9:15 AM, JKirkpatrick wrote:

> All that this suggests to me is that kids are born with a
> self-preservation instinct, hence lying when doing what they
were told
> not to do.

RH:
That is exactly the conclusion of the developmental psychologist.

> In fact these so-called experiments
> are simply training kids to lie....preparing them, for the big
world
> ahead.

RH:
I doubt the experiments are training people to do anything they
are not naturally inclined to do in the first place.

Let's say that maybe the experiments reinforce their instinctive
the defensive from various powers in their worlds, their
defensive strategies of course become even more reinforced. By
the time they go to work for the military-industrial complex,
heaven help them (us) all. (Higher ed has now become a member of
that august assembly, judging by what programs get canned, where
the grant money comes from, and what sorts become the
administrators.)
The vast body of work jokes attests to the need for effective
everyday upaya.