[Buddha-l] Chinese Canon

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Wed May 26 12:51:43 MDT 2010

Jack,

> Is the Chinese Canon merely a commentary on the Pali Canon and thus less
> authoritative (closer to the Buddha's intention)? Or, did parts of the
> early
> canon got recorded in Chinese before the Pali was sometimes later
> tampered
> with and that is why some of the differences in the Chinese canon can
> sometimes be more authoritative,

I'm afraid it is a lot more complicated than that.

Chinese translations vary in calibre depending on the translator. They
may also translate in accordance with accepted meanings and hence in
effect incorporate commentarial ideas. And of course the Chinese Canon
contains a vast amount of definitely later material e.g. belonging to
the Mahāyāna. But restricting ourselves to translations of Indian texts
which were presumably part of the 'canonical' literature of some Indian
school, some are based on Indian originals with as good a claim to
antiquity as the Pali texts — they came from a different school or a
different area to the Southern Indian tradition preserved in Pali. To
over-simplify a little, we can say that they are the scriptures of
schools established in areas which are now part of Northern Pakistan or
nearby and they were written in Gāndhārī Prakrit or later in Sanskrit.
The Pali Canon is a collection of the scriptures of a school established
in what is now Sri Lanka and in parts of Southern India. Pali is
basically a tidied up version of the standard written language used
across most of what is now India in inscriptions from the second century
B.C. until it is gradually displaced by Sanskrit over the course of the
first millennium A.D.

So which is more authoritative. Well, Pali has a slight edge and of
course the Pali texts are much more complete. But effectively we have to
take it on a case by case basis. That said, the differences are often
not that great in terms of the actual teachings.

Lance Cousins