[Buddha-l] Conservative and liberal Buddhists

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed May 26 17:29:34 MDT 2010

On May 26, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:

> It's hard to believe that Nāga and Candra would regard nirvāṇa as nonsense, but I'll wait to read the article to find out. Even before reading it, I'm fairly confident that neither of those fellows holds that the big N is nonsense in quite the same way that modern humanistic psychology does.

On the other hand, Pink Dandelion's discussion of non-realism does sound somewhat like Madhyamaka. Or, to put it another way, add a bit of sophistry and a heavy dose of fallacious reasoning to modern theological liberalism, stir half-heartedly, half bake for as long as you feel like it, and you end up with something a lot like Madhyamaka.

Chef Richard