[Buddha-l] Conservative and liberal Buddhists

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Thu May 27 07:01:18 MDT 2010

>On the other hand, Pink Dandelion's discussion of non-realism does sound >somewhat like Madhyamaka. Or, to put it another way, add a bit of sophistry and >a heavy dose of fallacious reasoning to modern theological liberalism, stir half-?>heartedly, half bake for as long as you feel like it, and you end up with something >a lot like Madhyamaka.

Surely it's not sophistry unless it's proven wrong - not just weak - in which case it's merely irrelevant or slightly mad.
I think there is some reality to nirvana (though not to the extent of being esteemable) because I really really do believe that annihilation isn't conceivable maybe even possible. At least there is no precedent for an incipient change to consciousness occurring without moving into awareness, I'm not as sure that I think it's essentially so.
That does sound like nonsense but only phenomenology as far as I know talks accurately about consciousness itself and immortality probably wasn't part of Husserl's project. 'The phenomenology of annihilation' isn't very gripping though, is it..?