[Buddha-l] Chan-Tibet connection

M.B. Schiekel mb.schiekel at arcor.de
Wed Nov 24 11:38:18 MST 2010

Hello all,

after reading (parts of) 'Lancaster/Lai - Early Ch'an in China and Tibet
(1983)' and 'McRae - The Nothern School and the Formation of Early Ch'an
Buddhism (1986)' here some questions to our adepts.

- are there newer studies with interesting results in the field of
'Nothern Chan School - Tibet'?

- some people in Tibet (e.g. Sakya Pandita, 1182–1251) accused Gampopa
(1079–1153), that his teaching of Mahamudra had Sino-Tibetan origins. Do
we know more about this?

- what do we know about the origins of the Indian-Mahamudra tradition
(e.g. Maitripa)?

Thank you for your patience.

in metta,
bernhard