[Buddha-l] Earthquake

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sat Oct 2 14:13:46 MDT 2010

It would be far beyond the valley of the wise if the Buddha knew anything at all about modern geology or geography.  Nor is being wise often considered closely related to science. It seems to me that the Buddha's wisdom is more interested in how to live a good life and how to relieve suffering. Not that he would have been hostile to the ideas of modern science. In fact, I'll bet that he would have been plenty interested.

This thread reminds me of an incident that I was involved in Idaho. My secretary, noticing that I didn't have very many people to talk to about books, invited me to a book club  meeting at her house to discuss  Plato's Apology, Crito, and Phaedo. With some  anticipation, I reread the three works and went to the party. My eagerness to participate in the discussion was considerably dampened when I learned that the purpose for reading Plato's works was to discover whether he might be a proto-Morman.

 I think (today) the purpose of reading philosophy might be to try to learn what the philosopher thought, although I must admit it is fun to speculate on what someone might have thought had someone been in a different time and place. I am influenced by having just last night read David Hume on the effects of time and space (both backwards and forwards) on the human imagination and "passions".