[Buddha-l] Enlightenment as dogma

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at nmsu.edu
Sat Oct 9 16:46:08 MDT 2010

Hi Stefan,
In my reply to your message, I include what was written by Erik
Hoogcarspel because I am in agreement with his point of view.

The Buddha taught a way of practice. When people asked him for some sort
of persuasive argument as to why they ought to believe what he taught, he
often said "come and see" -- in other words, 'try what I recommend and see
what results.'

I teach Zen at a small practice center (see url below my sig block). In my
experience of practice over the past 20 years, and teaching for the last 8
years, I have found that practice can transform the practitioner, while
mere belief in any dogma or proposition can only provide fleeting comfort,
at best, and sore delusion at worst.

Many of the Buddha's teachings are quite valuable, I've found, for people
who have already advanced in practice (i.e. been transformed by practice
to a greater or lesser degree). However, those same teachings cannot be
rightly understood, and therefore have almost no value, to someone who
only wants to "think them through" without engaging in serious practice
under a qualified teacher.

--
Regards,
Michael LaTorra