[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 4 20:05:42 MDT 2010

Richard wrote:

>From my desk I count ten of Freud's books on my shelves, all of which I
>have read.

Since, despite your frequent buffoonery on this list, I know you take such
things seriously, this is not at all surprising, and it would not be
surprising to learn that you've read many more books by and about Freud than
these ten (he was prolific).

I know you are serious since I remember when, many kalpas ago, the question
of Jung's antisemitism came up on this list, you took umbrage, at first with
sincere disbelief. Your seriousness took you to query a Jung scholar who
happened to be passing through -- probably also to gather some ammo to back
up your denials and responses -- only to be informed by her (I forget her
name at the moment -- this was kalpas ago after all) that there was
something to the charges after all. Here all these kalpas later we are
slowly inching forward. Progress nonetheless.

As for style, as anyone in the German lit. field will tell you, Freud is
universally considered one of the top German stylists of all time. The order
of mastery is usually: Luther, Goethe, Nietzsche, and Freud. If you think he
is a delight to read in English (thanks to Strachey), he is infinitely more
enchanting in German.

>At NM the professor who teaches Freud ... impressed by his command of a
>wide range of literature in many fields and by his ability to connect them
>intelligently.

Sounds like a bright fellow. Do what you can to hold onto him. Otherwise the
Freud courses might disappear with declining enrollment.

Dan