[Buddha-l] How Khushwant Singh does

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 10 10:06:37 MDT 2011

As you mention, it is very difficult to say anything definite about
birth in general, because women have such different stories about it and
much of the pain is compensated by emotional rewards. Besides the
attitude towards pain is so different among cultures and individuals.
When I was thinking about death and birth it struck me that death is an
individual phenomenon and birth symbolises basically your
interdependence with others. Birth is more than coming out of the womb,
it is also becoming someone for others, getting a name and status and a
future. My guess at the time was that existential philosophers missed
this point because of an individualistic bias. For me pain is something
that happens and it becomes ever less significant in our society because
of the many ways available to alleviate it. I don't mind going to the
dentist, because I know that if he does a root canal, I will not feel
excessive pain. This is quite new, but the symbolic value of birth will
never change.

erik