[Buddha-l] How Khushwant Singh does

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 10 10:58:18 MDT 2011

On Aug 10, 2011, at 10:06 , Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> I don't mind going to the
> dentist, because I know that if he does a root canal, I will not feel
> excessive pain.

I am still recovering from the shock of seeing surgical and dental tools on display in the Boerhaave Museum in Leiden. Some of those implements were used not so long ago by surgeons who never thought of washing their hands or sterilizing their instruments or giving any pain killer stronger than a shot of whiskey. That was back in the good old days, when dukkha was still dukkha.

http://www.museumboerhaave.nl/

Richard