[Buddha-l] Is there any basis for the allegations concerning the "expulsion" of Ani Karma Lhamu?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Aug 19 18:34:59 MDT 2011

On 8/19/11 7:14 PM, Jo wrote:
> I suggested to you off-list that you need to write to the editor of the TOI
> about your perception of unsubstantiated material in the original article. I
> find it rather odd that you keep on repeating old news and attacking Ms
> Sarkar instead of writing to the main editor of the TOI (the newspaper where
> she published the article) and asking about her lack of published sources.
> Isn't it the obvious next move? You don't know any more about this than you
> did when your first posted about it on this list.
> Quite strange, really.
>
> Joanna

Actually, Joanna, I know a great deal more about this than when I first
posted. I know for example that Sarkar herself has significantly altered
her version of the story, as is immediately apparent if one compares the
piece under her byline from August 16 with what she wrote in the TOI on
July 11.

I also now know that Sarkar has been a frequent contributor to the
far-right Christian "news" service called CompassDirect.org since 2009,
and that she also writes for another Christian "news" service based in
China called "ENI News".

In other words, Sudeshna Sarkar knows exactly what she is doing.

As for the Times of India, they appear to be catching on even without my
assistance. They were all over the story until Sarkar started
backpedalling on her claims about the nun being "expelled", but now they
have completely dropped it.

And if you are so certain that Sudeshna Sarkar's original version is
valid then I suggest you email her and complain that she has changed her
tune. Her email address is sudeshna.s at ians.in. While you are at it, you
might want to write to Dewan Rai at the Nepali Times, because he wrote a
major article on the case directly contradicting Sudeshna Sarkar's
allegations (http://nepalitimes.com/issue/2011/07/22/Nation/18400).

Curt Steinmetz