[Buddha-l] Linux WP for Tibetan?

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Sun Dec 11 19:09:46 MST 2011

God! You techies are impressive.
I haven't a clue---recently upgraded to win 7. My computer helper finally
told me where Properties was. Digital stuff for me is a lesson
in..........hm.......... anicca?

Joanna

On Behalf Of Simon Wiles
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:33 PM

Hi folks,

I think the security issues Ralf was referring to were fixed before they
were announced, weren't they?
(http://www.libreoffice.org/advisories/CVE-2011-2713)

I switched to LibreOffice over a year ago now.  I've actually been a little
disappointed with how little it's diverged from OpenOffice in that time.
Really the only things they've done are bug fixes and code optimisations,
and the merging of a suite of widely-used patches into the trunk.

I've not had any problems with Tibetan ligatures, with one exception, which
is when trying to use the Monlam fonts.  They don't follow the standard
Unicode conventions, and seem to rely for ligatures on some kind of OTF
glyph-substitution table that LibreOffice (and OpenOffice) don't recognize.
It's a curious one.  All other Unicode Tibetan fonts I've used work fine,
however.

To answer Bernard's direct question, the two mainstream alternatives that
are generally offered to OpenOffice/LibreOffice are Lotus Symphony
(http://www-03.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/home), and
GoogleDocs.  Neither is preferable to using LibreOffice though, in my
opinion.

simon

On Sun, 2011-12-11 at 15:04 +0100, Ralf Steckel wrote:
> Dear Forum,
>
> just a remark about the technical "divergence" between OpenOffice and
Libre Office - without any comment about the "usability" as word processor
for Tibetan fonts...

> OpenOffice and Libre Office now are so different from the source code
basis, that it is technical almost impossible to merge the two branches to a
common version (if that would be wanted for some reason in the future
again).

> Libre Office has some security issues - (important for users, who use it
on a different platform than a Linux / Unix derivate), which are fixed in
OpenOffice.

of the online magazines at http://www.heise.de/ .