[Buddha-l] Linux WP for Tibetan?

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 22:23:00 MST 2011

On 11 December 2011 20:04, Ralf Steckel <ralf.steckel at online.ms> wrote:

> My personal recommendation would be, to stay with OpenOffice - as long as it is possible...

Hi Ralf

Since Oracle have now handed over OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation
is there still any good reason to prefer LibreOffice? - or is
OpenOffice, as such, now more or less dead?

I spent a lot of time and effort trying to get users in Bhutan to use
OpenOffice instead of MS Word - especially for Dzongkha and Tibetan -
it is  actually quite difficult  to try and get them to use something
with a different name now since it is hard to explain to ordinary
users why such a split occured.

BTW Some time ago I made a page on using OpenOffice with Dzongkha
(and Tibetan) which can be found here:
<http://www.dzongkha.gov.bt/IT/OpenOffice.en.html>

There is also a page I made on using Dzongkha with Ubuntu Linux
<http://www.dzongkha.gov.bt/IT/ULinux-Instructions.en.html> - which
applies to Tibetan as well since both languages use the same script.

- Chris