[Buddha-l] Whatever happened to buddha-l?

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jun 9 08:08:58 MDT 2011

A cat simile works just as well, in reverse:

When the cat's away, the mice don't play.

Joanna

____________________

Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:41 AM

Homo homini lupus, man a wolf to man. A dog is a civilised wolf.
The cynics apparently ascribed some civilisation to man when they
took the dog as the symbol of man living according to his own
nature. We have to remember of course that dogs at the time where
not always as nice as they are nowadays. They stole, barked and
sometimes attacked people.
Buddha-l is a typical example of modern dog nature: one member of
the pack howls and the others answer. This time the doggies have
just been playing some time with there own private bosses and
forgot about the pack, until one is left alone on the balcony or
hears a high pitched sound from the radio.
The thing I like about dogs is that they like to play and are
very serious about it, almost like Tibetan monks deal with their
pujas. And compassion is very much part of a dog's way of life:
licking a stranger's hands just for fun is pretty compassionate.
Even a dog's tooth can become a Buddhist relic according to a
famous story. It looks like 'dog' is just a Buddhist word for
god. Let's get rid of the rinpoches, they are much to expensive
and all take a puppy.

erik